Given the popularity of social media and online branding, there are chances of many inflammatory comments that can damage the reputation of a brand or a person. For this, you should know the difference between defamation, slander and libel.
Defamation is a civil cure for people whose livelihood gets affected as a result of being defamed for wrong reasons. Defamation suit can be filed that is in written and oral form. Defamation case can be filed only if the statement made is false. Slander is spoken defamation while libel is defamation in the written format.
Types of defamation you must know about
- There is a difference between an opinion and defamation.
- Defamation occurs when false statements are made about you that causes you losses.
- The defamation occurred must be public, false, and injurious.
- Defamation can occur if false statements have been made with respect to the crime.
- Yet another type of defamation occurs when the plaintiff is falsely proven for incompetence.
- Defamation occurs when false rumors are spread that spoils the reputation and causes injury.
- Free speech cannot be accounted for perjury.
- When serious damage is caused due to false statements and information, it causes defamation.
- Defamation accounts when the victim has to deal with scorn, hatred, loss of work, or damage.
- Statements made during judicial proceedings cannot be accounted for defamation.
Types of statements that can be accounted for defamation
Free speech and opinions cannot be accounted for defamation. Statements made with ill will, scorn and with the intent to cause damage to the person can be accounted for defamation. To get more information about defamation and slander, you can refer to the tweets of Aaron Minc twitter account.
The subject of defamation can be tricky and must be filed only under the guidance of an experienced attorney. If you make false statements with reckless regard for truth, publically or privately, still defamation can be filed in these scenarios. In these cases, the victim is accounted to receive the cost of damages caused due to defamation.
Reasoning and rationalizing false statements
Even if you use words like, ‘I think’ to make any defamatory statements in front of people who are not close to you, they are likely to take your statements seriously. This can cause serious damage to a person’s reputation and spoil their life.
When any kind of a defamatory statement is made and it is a false statement, the plaintiff making the statement can be sued and strict action can be taken against them. You can receive damages for the pain, suffering, loss of job, loss of reputation, shame, and humiliation.
Statements made on social platforms
Defamation can occur even if false statements are made during chat and comments that are false. Social media is like a wildfire and any false information presented can spread easily causing losses to the reputation and damages done to the person suffering from it.
Making a false statement and spreading false rumors can harshly damage a person’s reputation and cause injury in many ways. This can lead to social disgrace and impairment that can adversely affect a person’s life.